1. Go hiking, preferably somewhere beautiful but damaged, and with lots of annoying, physically difficult terrain. In our case, Mount Palomar, which is not only nearly completely burned to a crisp, but filled with powdery, pillowy ash that makes uphill going difficult.
2. Make sure you go with an old friend who's better company than anyone could reasonably hope for. In my case, Dan, who's as much fun to spend time with now as when we first met fifteen years ago.
3. When you get home, enjoy some German leftovers (Zürcher Geschnetzeltes with potato dumplings) or some half-off Thai food courtesy of a UK supermarket chain (Thai red chicken curry).
4. Open a bottle of the 2006 JK Carriere 'Provocateur' Oregon pinot noir, preferably after chilling it down just a bit.
5. Watch The Diving Bell and the Butterfly crashed out on the couch, wine in hand.
I haven't felt this good in months. Oh, for life's simple pleasures.