- Boot Red Hat Linux 9
- From the Start menu [or whatever it's called on Linux], select System Settings
- Next, select Display Settings
- Change the display resolution to something else
- Click OK
- Get a window that says 'Display settings changed. You need to log out and restart the X server for the changes to take effect.'
- From the Start menu, select Log Out
- Select Restart
After it restarts, the resolution has not changed.
I'm sure there's an easy explanation for this, but dammit, this is even worse than Windows 3.0 was.